In many ways I am in a process of starting over. A new beginning. For weddings the bride is to have “something borrowed, something blue and a penny in her shoe.” On the Recovery Road is there a tradition? The need to start fresh along with a new school year has me focused on getting rid of stuff, removing clutter and keeping only what works. This sent me to IKEA in College Park.
Is “IKEA” Swedish for “fresh start” in life? Here are a few lessons I learned, or re-learned.
- You don’t need words to communicate. Pictures and good intentions can speak clearly.
- Forcing a round peg in a square hole doesn’t work. Find a square peg.
- Everything you need you already have. Just check. A look inside yourself often brings answers and solutions you may have overlooked.
- Two sets of hands are recommended. Especially when handling a large object or problem. Sometimes we need help. Sometimes just a companion. People like to be useful so don’t insist on being a loner. Just ask.
- If it isn’t working, working harder is not the answer. Take a step back. Breath. Review the situation and check the directions. Try a new approach. Call the help line.
- Einstein was right in defining insanity. Doing the same thing over gets the same results. Get out of your own way. Doing it “my way” is often the source of my stress.
- Making do with something or someone “just for now” is not self-care. Wait for the right thing or right person. A poor fit will always fit poorly.
- Remember who you are doing this for. Giving someone something they don’t want (a gift or advice) won’t bring appreciation.
- You can’t put it back in the box. There are no do-overs with IKEA. No magic will un-do it if it is the wrong. Keep the receipt and make sure it is right before committing. (see #5, 6 & 7)
- Don’t blame. Keep the focus on me. What was my motivation? How was the mistake about me? #1 is to have a strong plan (preparation) before jumping in (action) and make sure it will actually solve the problem (contemplation) going forward (maintenance).
Yes, Stages of Change and MI even apply to shopping at IKEA. For me, spending more time in Contemplation will give me better prospects for reaching Maintenance.